Round, crispy, and just salty enough to keep from dulling out whatever you choose to top it with, the Tostada is, in my humble opinion, something no pantry should ever live without. Whenever I am in the mood for something light and satisfying, I crack into my Tostada stash. What I top it with can be unpredicatble, as it is ultimately decided by whatever I have lying around. For example, this is how my Tostadas looked this week:
Bean Heaven Tostada: Smeared with piping hot Refried Beans then sprinkled with Cheddar & Jack Cheese, then topped with shredded lettuce and spicy Pico De Gallo, and a dollup of sour cream for good measure. Sticks to your belly.
So this was a selection made from what I happened to have hanging around. If you get the picture you'll find that Tostadas are super versatile. Plus, eating them is really fun. It's truly a skill to eat an entire Tostada without cracking it into pieces and covering yourself with food stuffs. Lucky for me, practice makes perfect.
Other great ideas for topping Tostadas:
- Shrimp or Fish with Mango Slaw
- Cream Cheese with Lox, Capers & Shredded Romaine
- Scrambled Eggs, Chorizo, and Melty Cheese
- Home Fries, Eggs, and Sausage or Bacon
- Mozzarella, Garlic, Spinach, and Tomato
- Shredded Pork or Chicken with Salsa Verde
- Fresh Tomato & Avocado, Lime, and Salt
- Jerk Chicken, Fried Plantains & Mango Salsa
- Sour Cream, Lettuce, Tomato & Bacon
- Marscapone & Fruit with Fresh Basil
So tell me, what would you put on your Mighty Tostada?