What do you get when a frozen margarita makes sweet, sexy love to a longneck Mexican beer? You get my favorite drink, the beer-garita. When you want to show happy hour who's boss, order up one of these beauties. If you're drinking at the right place, a beergarita translates into at least two full-sized drinks.
Of course, not all beer-garitas are created equally. Some places cheat you on the beer by sticking a piddly little coronita in your glass. Other places insult your thirst by skimping on the margarita, serving the whole thing in a puny tumbler instead of the massive goblet this drink deserves.
I'm not ashamed to say that I've tried my fair share of beergaritas in this town. I've done the hard work so that you, dear reader, can enjoy the sweet, sweet rewards. Strap in for the buzz of your life. It's beergarita time.
Heavyweights: The Biggest in Town
- Polvo's reigns supreme for its sheer size. A Polvo's beergarita is equal to one and a half frozen margaritas PLUS a full-sized, twelve ounce Dos Equis. That's a whopping two and a half drinks for just $12.
Masterful Mixology: The Most Creative Beergaritas in Austin
- Hats off to HopDoddy for their unforgettable Skinny Dip, a cocktail of frozen margarita and Saint Arnold Lawnmower on tap. The sweet, tangy margarita blends surprisingly well with the bitter, hoppy beer. These puppies aren't super cheap, but they are massive. One is all you need. (Ask me how I know.) Hopdoddy charges $7.00 for an eighteen ounce goblet of Skinny Dip.
On the Cheap: Econo-ritas
- Cuatro's on West 24th may just take the cake on econo-ritas. Thursday nights, from 6:00 pm to close they have their 1800 margaritas with full-sized coronas for just $6.00!
- I've heard rumors regarding the existince of a $5 beer-garita, consisting of a full sized margarita and a full sized beer, happily married in one glass at Crestview's El Nuevo Restaurant. I have not inspected the quality of said beer-garita, but it sounds magically inexpensive.
Sneaky-Rita's: DIY Beergaritas
- Red's Porch has a pretty kick-ass happy hour, featuring $3.25 frozen margaritas, discounted appetizers, and a menu full of bottled beer. See where I'm going with this?
- Freddie's Place is another great place to get schnockered on the cheap. Frozen Margaritas are just $2.75 during happy hour. If you brave the patio when temperatures hit 100+ the price drops to just $1.00! Combine that with discounted appetizers and cheap beer, and you'll be sitting pretty. Well, maybe more like slurring pretty.
Honorable Mention: Cheladas and Micheladas
- While they aren't exactly beer-garitas, Doc's does make some tasty cheladas and micheladas. These are more like beer-based cocktails or spritzers, mixing beer with lime juice or bloody mary mix on the rocks. It's worth noting that Doc's also has beer-garitas, but they are sort of puny. Stick to the cheladas.
- Hillside Farmacy will michelada-up any beer on their menu for an extra $1.00.
- My food blogger buddies also recommended the following places for extra-tasty micheladas: Polvo's, Las Cauzela's, El Chilito, and Matt's El Rancho.
Looking for more tasty tips from Austin Food Bloggers? Check out this year's City Guide from The Austin Food Blogger Alliance!